De-Stress Before You Distress
Classroom management can be the most stressful and frustrating
aspect of your ministry. Here's what the veterans say about keeping
a grip on classroom management.
- Focus on the positive. A kind word, a smile, a
compliment, or a pat on the back lets children know they're doing
well and their efforts are appreciated.
- Set rules. Establish three to five general rules at
the beginning of the year. Make sure kids understand the rules and
the consequences. Send copies home so parents also have a role in
helping kids with accountability.
Stay prepared -- and stress-free with these tips.
- Relax. Realize that you can never be totally prepared
for everything that'll come up, and relax. Be flexible. Have faith
that your kids are excited to learn.
- Pace yourself. Some people complete tasks immediately
to avoid stress. Others procrastinate and seem to work best under
pressure. Either way, stay focused, energized, and enthusiastic
when you're preparing. And take breaks. Close your eyes and
visualize calm and peaceful images during your preparations.
- Get kids and parents to help. Let kids organize
supplies and your classroom so they have more ownership. Let
parents know how they can help, either by volunteering or donating