the top problems we hear from children's ministers is not being
able to find volunteers. It seems that everyone has a reason for
why they can't help, and the excuses aren't always that good. Here
are the 20 most common excuses folks use to get out of
volunteering…have you heard any of these?
- I'm allergic.
- Kids scare me.
- My kids are already grown.
- But [name of someone who already said no] would do so much
better than me!
- I don't like kids.
- Kids just don't get me.
- I'm too busy watching my own kids.
- Kids are gross.
- I don't have any previous experience.
- I'm not a good enough Christian to teach kids.
- Isn't that what you're paid to do?
- I'm busy.
- I already put in my time. I volunteered last decade.
- I don't like you.
- I don't know anything about the Bible.
- I can't sing.
- I'm not crafty enough.
- I'm not creative enough.
- I'm not a juice and cracker man.
- I think God's calling me to the parking lot ministry
Looking for some great ways to recruit new volunteers? Let us
help! We've got
the solution to your volunteer crisis. Once you've got them,
here's how to
train volunteers the 21st century way. You may even
be wondering about the right
way to fire a volunteer. Or you might be interested in Group's volunteer discipleship conference / church
training. The training focuses on teaching ministry leaders how
to move their congregation from sitting to serving by instilling a
culture of discipleship in their ministry- great for any ministry
Whatever the case, Children's Ministry Magazine has tons of
articles to help you out! So, what's the worst excuses you've ever
heard? Share with us using the comment section below!